Website History

My website's had a bit of a rocky history. I'd always wanted a place for my stories to spread out so I could share the backstory behind each plot, and once I finished AWW, I knew I had to get one. (A Web Woven is just packed with a bunch of stuff I'd planned out but couldn't say in the context, and chock-full of future story ideas.) At the time, the only HTML I was really familiar with was Myspace, so that's where I started.

-----

Layout v.1 - The Myspace Layout


While very visually appealing, I ultimately pulled this layout (and Myspace as a hosting site) because of the internal problems with Myspace. In the constant war against phishing going on over there, they had revamped security and the way external linking worked - to the point of reformulating links to have Myspace urls. I had never really been sure about people being able to see my blogs anyway (with privacy, and all that). Myspace is really a social networking site at its core, and its blogging capabilities are infamous in online circles for totally sucky formatting. (I'm talking weird, constantly changing fonts, inconsistent spacing, and unsatisfactory HTML.) I ditched Myspace and moved the party over here to Blogger, where I am now very happily hosted.

--

Layout v.2 - My First Blogger Layout


As you can see, Blogger was a bit of a switch for me. It used code I was unused to, an entirely different formatting process, and new-styled customization. That's why this layout is lacking in excitement. I was going for a simplistic, elegant look - it kind of backfired into lazy-amateurish, which it totally was. As I began to explore the customizing capabilities and got more comfortable with everything, I started experimenting. Reverting to old style templates helped me a lot - they use less javascript and more of the CSS I learned at Myspace - and I was able to create something much better.

--

Layout v.3 - Cool and Pink


Pink it may be, but this third layout is one I'm particularly proud of. I worked extremely hard on it - with code I still don't understand exactly, but I was able to make fit together. A lot of it had to do with the switch from Beta to Classic, which is a lot more HTML than Javascript. It was cleaner, more advanced-looking, and more real, somehow. It features what is perhaps my favorite painting of all time, "A Cool Retreat" by John William Godward, who is one of my very favorite artists - Pre-Raphaelite is definitely my fave movement.

--

Layout v.3 - Elegant Endymion


Relief from that harsh pink! This layout, I think, worked way better. A navigation bar (finally!) up at the top - you won't believe how hard it was for me to get that up there. The color scheme is a definite improvement also; looks more elegant, yes? It's build around another fave Godward painting, "Endymion". Don't you love that rich, relaxed feeling you get from it? And a little categorizing made everything clean and even better.


june
updates

I can hardly believe I'm saying it, but. . . the first chapter of Lily's Eyes is finished! Two whole years in the making, and it's finally done. Yes! The bad news is that none of the other sixteen chapters are beyond outlines. But on the bright side, the writer's block forced three unrelated oneshots out of me - unfortunately, though they are complete, they'll be shelved until Lily's Eyes is done. So see you all in about 32 years. . . lol. I hope.

Email

I prefer messages through the PM system over at FF.net, but anyone who would rather email can contact me at loveandrockmusic@yahoo.com.



© 2009 Love and Rock Music | Member at Fanfiction.net