Qualms With AWW

Recently, A Web Woven has come back into the spotlight as a bit of a controversy. More than a few readers' reviews were of the negative sort - and some of them were negative in a way that really bothers me. It seems that people were personally offended by my writing; or else, on C. S. Lewis’ behalf. Some of them were answering to an even higher calling. . . But whatever their reasoning, they all had severe problems with AWW’s content.

I'm sure that most of the backlash was from readers who found AWW through the link at The Lion's Call. In retrospect, I really don't know what I was thinking when I posted it over there. TLC is an all-out Chronicles fansite that fully embraces the Christian parallels present in the books. Which is just fine with me, I'm cool with that. But the web traffic is also made up of a good portion of high-strung defenders-of-faith that feel morally obligated to inform others of what is and what is not right when it comes to interpreting the Chronicles. And A Web Woven, which contains themes of adultery, predestination, (extremely distant) incest*, fornication, illegitimacy, and forced marriage, is the perfect fodder for their flames.

I submitted AWW to TLC's fan fiction section because it best represents the rest of my work, and is the least biased toward a specific pairing. I should have realized, though, that it wouldn't have gone over well with the Christian community. To make a long story short: It received similarly bigoted reviews on the TLC site itself, and was subsequently removed from their fan fiction listing – undoubtedly the result of some self-righteous complaint.

Just thinking about it now, I can't help but call to mind Capegio's words again: "Dear fandom: I love you very much, but very few things irritate me more than when you stick your nose up in the air and bend over to draw pretty little chalk lines around what it means to be a Narnian. My stomach turns every time I hear the words 'defending canon.' I thoroughly reject all notions of Narnian exclusivity. I may not read everything, but I would rather not have a fandom at all than belong to one in which people think they can tell other people what is and is not appropriate." ***

You see, the problem is exactly that. The reviews I started getting weren't the least bit concerned with my writing style, or my use of language - it was more about my plot and characterization being "an insult to C. S. Lewis". I'll be the first to admit that AWW is not my strongest work, but I really don't think that kind of stuff belongs in reviews. I mean, who are they to judge? Did any of them know Lewis personally? Of course, some of them also worked the religious angle, which was doubly annoying. Why should my story conform to Christianity anyway? Like most high-profile authors on FF.net, I prefer to keep my personal religious beliefs (or lack thereof) ambiguous, and totally separate from my work as an amateur author.

So, below, I though I'd repost some significant reviews as well as my replies to them. These reviews are exact copies, and the responses remained unchanged as well – though in hindsight I have spotted more than a few grammar errors on my part.

A review from Aravir Morningstar reads:

As with the last reviewer, I must confess that I am heartily disappointed and shocked with the relationships that have been portrayed in "A Web Woven".

The CrON is Christian based, written by a Christian author, specifically for children (and children at heart).

While it would be interesting to have a complete and instructed bloodline throughout the reign of all the Narnian monarchs, Aslan, being a symbol of Jesus, would not have aloud such wickedness to occur just to accomplish it.

This discredits any of the morals that are taught in the CrON and gives the stories (meant for a childish audience)a undesirable reputation.

This is especially true since Honor and Safety are stressed to such an extent in the books.

(ie. In the VODT, everyone is concerned for Lucy's honor and safety as the "Invisible People" [the Duffers] demand that she go to the upstairs of the Magicians House.)

Here is just one example. I could point out many others from all the books.

In a sum of everything then, the main concerns that struck me in "A Web Woven" is its inconsistency with the main themes of the Chronicles of Narnia and detestable wickedness that was light-heartedly portrayed.

My reply was thus:

Thank you for your review, and I very much appreciate the criticism. If I may, below I will answer the points you made in your review. If I offend you, please forgive me - I see this reply as a literary debate, defense, and explanation, and mean no disrespect to your beliefs or values.

You said, "The CrON is Christian based, written by a Christian author, specifically for children (and children at heart)." And you'd be right: The stories of Narnia were built around Christian themes. Fan fiction, however, is not. Fan-written stories are based on interpretation. The Chronicles of Narnia, like most good literature, is open to all sorts of interpretation, and A Web Woven is mine.

I've got to admit, I felt a little like you were implying that only Christians could read the Chronicles. I will venture to say that C. S. Lewis wouldn't have minded readers enjoying the Chronicles simply for the stories, without the Christian subtext. That is the standpoint from which I write - my own interpretation of the Chronicles as stories. And my own stories are not meant to portray Christian values; they're meant to entertain, not to display my take on morality.

As for the "wickedness" - you're right. Aslan doesn't encourage wickedness so much as allow free will. Wickedness will always be ever-present in the world (in fact, the extramarital relations in my story are quite tame compared to some that actually existed in European history), and Aslan does acknowledge this. Allow me to quote:

(begin quote)

" 'You see, friends,' he said, 'that before the new, clean world I gave you is seven hours old, a force of evil has already entered it; waked and brought hither by this son of Adam.' "

(end first quote)

(begin second quote)

" 'But it would have done so by making Narnia into another strong and cruel empire like Charn, not the kindly land I mean it to be.' "

(end quote)

In these two instances, Aslan states that evil is capable of entering the perfect and whole Narnia that he created. He also explains that he wants Narnia to be a good and wholesome place. Thus, Aslan has confirmed that evil can come unto Narnia despite his intentions, and it does - when the Telmarines take control of Narnia, or the awful evil displayed throughout The Last Battle.

But that's really just the rationalization of my plot.

You wrote, "This discredits any of the morals that are taught in the CrON and gives the stories (meant for a childish audience)a undesirable reputation."

This was a story - more importantly, a fanfic - based off the idea that all of the monarchs of Narnia were blood-related. I don't make any claims that my writing is equal to that of C. S. Lewis, or indicate that my work is proclaiming a moral lifestyle.

I personally feel it was ridiculous to insinuate that my work reflected badly on the stories of The Chronicles of Narnia; my disclaimer clearly states that I am not affiliated with them at all.** If my work is poor or promotes dishonorable values, the fault is mine alone, and contributes to the reputation of Narnia fan fiction, not the Chronicles themselves. After all, Harry Potter fan fiction (especially the shipping) is known for pushing the very limit of the socially acceptable, as well as the law - but the books by J. K. Rowling are known for their themes of humanity, loyalty, and friendship.

Thank you once again for your review. If you have a rebuttal, I would gladly hear it.

A second reader, Wulfclan, gave the review:

Edmund's DAUGHTER?! Good heavens above, Edmund doesn't have a daughter, and certainly NOT an illegitimate one! Aslan would have been utterly disgusted, and Edmund, THE JUST, would have never, ever, ever stooped to such a thing!

*gasp gasp* Okay, okay. I'm calm. Calming, at least. The story was wellwritten, and the idea of the Pevensies being related to Frank was interesting. But the relationships in this story definitely need to be redone. I'm sorry.

And my reply:

First of all, thank you for your review. I always appreciate feedback and I'm grateful you took the time to do so. And secondly, below you will find my reply to each of the points you made. Please be aware that in no way do I mean to offend you; I thoroughly enjoy a good literary debate and mean nothing personal in the defense of my story.

Your first point was probably the most incorrect. "Edmund doesn't have a daughter, and certainly NOT an illegitimate one!" In defense of true canon, I think I'll borrow a line from the Transatlantic Inklings: "Lewis didn't say anything about them getting married and having kids, but he never ruled out the possibility either." In LWW, barely two paragraphs are devoted to the Pevensies' lives as grown-up kings and queens, and no timeframe is given either. (C. S. Lewis' timeline places it at fifteen years, but that's technically an outside canon source. The text itself could be interpreted to mean anything from five to fifty.) Certainly nothing specific is mentioned about their romantic status - and then, a few years down the road, we have Rabadash, who was certainly a significant suitor of Susan's, standing to the point that they *did* have their own flirtations.

What I mean to say is that while there is technically no support for marriage or children, there is nothing to go against it, either. There is merely an extended gap of time to "live and let live", so to speak. Any children, legitimate or otherwise, are certainly within the realm of possibility. And also, as monarchs, they probably felt pressure to produce an heir, increasing the likelihood of at least one of them bearing children. It was unsettling to see you state with such surety, when really, there is no definite way to tell at all.

In my writing, you will see that I stayed within the parameters of canon as closely as I could: Edmund, and indeed none of the Pevensies, knew of the child, who was conceived during their last days in Narnia. (Which calms any qualms raised by The Horse and His Boy.)

You next say, "Aslan would have been utterly disgusted". I am glad that you didn't phrase it "Aslan would never have allowed it", as some readers have in other reviews. Aslan, of course, champions free will. And contrary to what one would think, I am not *endorsing* extramarital affairs - I only think they make for great drama and excellent stories. As for "Edmund, THE JUST, would have never, ever, ever stooped to such a thing!", I can only say that's what makes it even better. Writing, especially fan fiction, is an exploration: what would drive a certain character to certain actions. We as Narnia fans know that Edmund is logical, intelligent, and just, as well as a knighted king. That's why it's interesting to see a story where all these values are tested to their utter limit - he is only human, after all. And we know that good people can be driven to wickedness, and have it make wonderful writing - think of Othello!

You may have wondered that all the plotlines and pairings seem terribly underdeveloped. That is because I am writing stories for all of the scenarios mentioned; I have already completed the ones concerning Caspian and Lucy. This summer I will be embarking on Lily's Eyes, which is the story of Edmund's fall from grace and will tell exactly how that illegitimate daughter came to be. You're welcome to read it, and I would be glad of your opinion.

Allow me to make the most obvious rebuttal of all, to your entire review: This is fan fiction. People have gone well and above what I have written in *my* story - and excuse my lack of modesty, done so with considerably less grace. I will admit I'm curious to know what you think of incest and slash fiction, two subjects I avoid in my writing. There are dozens of stories out there in which Edmund fathers scores of illegitimate children with both Susan and Lucy, while he is married to Peter. Unfortunately, I am not joking.

I will now address your final point, which is the only one that truly bothered me. Everything above I enjoyed writing, and was done so in very good sport: There is nothing I love more than going on about my work. Now, however, I would like to assume a more serious tone. You said, "the relationships in this story definitely need to be redone." I must say, that last line had no place in your review. Who are you to say that my story must be changed to fit your idea of how it should be? Like I said, this is fan fiction. A place where people come to write their own stories for characters they love. (C. S. Lewis himself encouraged others to write stories about Narnia in "Letters to Children".) It was ridiculously *uncool* to pronounce judgment on my story, and deem it necessary for correction. I will not correct it; I like it very much; and if you read the reviews, you'll see that several other well-established and admired Narnian authors do as well. Suggesting that my story needs to be redone borders near insulting, and carries the pretension that you believe your opinions are the correct way a story should be written. It is very different than suggesting an author repost a story in need of obvious correction. I have often done so myself, when a new author posts a story with poor formatting or grammar. You specifically demanded change to the fundamental plotline - the relationships, which is what A Web Woven is all about.

Lastly, I wanted to mention that I received your review just as I was reading your story, Reflections. Now, however *your* review might have made me feel, I firmly believe good work ought to be recognized and commended, so I hurriedly reviewed before the beast of rebuttal could rise within me. However, I can't help but wonder if you would have been less harsh, had you known I was one of your readers.

Thanks once more for your review. And as I said at the beginning, I did not wish to offend you. If you have a reply, I would gladly hear it.

Wulfclan then responded in a PM:

My dear girl,

I most heartily say to you, I would have been just as 'harsh', as you put it, had I known you liked all of my stories. I do not care if you like my stories or not; I am not flattered at all. If I do not like your own stories because they are utterly abhorrent to me, why should I care if you like mine?

And secondly, that was not half so harsh as what I was thinking. I do not want to flame people, but if they insist on putting out such gross, immoral stuff as you do and still call themselves fans of that great man, C.S. Lewis, then their stories are worthy of nothing but flames.

You say you do not approve of such relations. And yet you write of them! Why, I ask you, would you write about such things that you would not endorse in real life? Is it any different in fiction? You would say yes, but it is not so.

Othello, you referenced. Interesting to me, as I just read that play. I found it gross. So choose a better reference, if you please.

This book that you have taken it upon yourself to write about was written for those people who are still childlike, still, in a way, innocent. The characters were meant to be clean, not gross and loose. You degrade his beloved characters and you twist them for your own enjoyment. Have you ever read any of C.S. Lewis' other books, might I enquire? Do you even know him at all? His views on such things as you write? For if you have, you have taken in precious little of what he wrote. I humbly suggest you read his works, such as The Weight of Glory.

I cannot ever convince you that your writing is despicable, and I suppose you probably are offended. May you forgive me, but I am not sorry. Your own reply was coldly offensive to me, and I felt strongly as though you had taken a knife and stabbed both me and the whole canon of the Chronicles of Narnia with it. Write on! For I know you will. I am sure this message will go through one ear and out the other for you.

None of this was sent for the purpose of offending you; it was sent in reply to what you sent me. I have marked down whate I believe, and, as I said above, I care not whether it is a stumbling block to you.

~Wulfclan

To which my PM reply was:

Upon receiving your reply, these two responses seemed the most important to stress:

1. Art doesn't have to promote good morals. That's kind of the point.

2. Fiction isn't real life. Also kind of the point.

In answer to your question, no, I have not read any other works by Lewis. But then, I have never claimed to be a fan of C. S. Lewis; I am a fan of The Chronicles of Narnia. I admire his only as the creator of the series. And in the respect to the books, in my own writing I have always tried to keep the characters in as close to their canon selves as I was able.

It has become clear to me that your quarrel is not with my writing, but with its subject. I am sorry for that. Even in my most critical review, my concerns lie with the quality of work, not their subject. After all, one is free to interpret whatever they see. Art is for people to hear what speaks to them. And in literature, you can make an argument for nearly everything. The problem is, you really mustn’t go about as if your own interpretation (which is, at its bare meaning, merely an opinion) is utter fact.

You are offended because my story goes against your personal morals and beliefs. Unfortunately, Fanfiction (dot) net was not established to improve upon its members' moral character. It's meant as a place to share stories with other fans, and through community interaction, hopefully allow writers to improve upon their skill.

Someone that deplores Shakespeare as "gross" is someone with whom I could never see eye-to-eye. To that end, I hope that this is the end of our correspondence. Regrettably there has been some not-so-subtle jibes from both sides, which was never my intention. And surely we can go no further with this discussion, and if you were to review any of my other stories, they certainly wouldn't be enjoyable for you to read, or helpful for me to receive. At the same time, I thank you for your review, and for kindly responding; and if you should desire another round of PMs or to continue reviewing, I would not be ungrateful.

As ever, no offense is meant. I should mention your words were not brushed off, and I took them quite to heart. The change you wished to effect in my writing and my opinions, however, was not achieved and never shall be. I assure you I will keep writing, however despicable my stories may be.

---

So there you go – people are ridiculous sometimes, although I'm still not sure if it was wise to even reply at all. The last thing I want is bad blood between myself and other authors. . . but I'm not sure if these are the kind of people I'd want to be on friendly terms with anyway. You might have noticed I was careful to include a disclaimer of sorts, because I was afraid of offending and of being reported.

The last review, which I’m not going to post over here, was from Siberian Christmas and is the only review I've never replied to. It was clearly well-written and I honestly couldn't think of a reply. If you read it, I'm sure you'll understand why.

Lastly, I would like to give a shout out to Katty008, whose cheering supportive review was sandwiched in the middle of the four negative opinionated ones. You're nuttily awesome!

* [For more about how I feel about the degree of incest in AWW, check out its blog here.]

** [It should be noted that at the time of that reply, AWW's disclaimer read "Narnia and all its beloved characters and places don't belong to me." I have since changed it to "Narnia and all its beloved characters and places are the copyright of C.S. Lewis Pte. Ltd. This story is fan-written for no profit, and no infringement is intended." Not much of a difference, but I figured it would be prudent to mention it. Either way, though, I think the point was clear.]

*** [I borrowed this quote from Capegio's profile without permission.]


june
updates

I can hardly believe I'm saying it, but. . . the first chapter of Lily's Eyes is finished! Two whole years in the making, and it's finally done. Yes! The bad news is that none of the other sixteen chapters are beyond outlines. But on the bright side, the writer's block forced three unrelated oneshots out of me - unfortunately, though they are complete, they'll be shelved until Lily's Eyes is done. So see you all in about 32 years. . . lol. I hope.

Email

I prefer messages through the PM system over at FF.net, but anyone who would rather email can contact me at loveandrockmusic@yahoo.com.



© 2009 Love and Rock Music | Member at Fanfiction.net