Why I Hate Fan Fiction

"Five year old Rory Gilmore was crying. Her friend Jess Mariano looked on as she shed her tears. Being six, Jess didn't even know how to suspend the crystalline drops falling from the little girl's eyes. Rory looked up at the dark haired boy looking back into her misty blue orbs."

- from Kiss Me Fool, a Gilmore Girls fanfic by R. M. Jackson.


Wtf? Tell me there's someone out there who gets what I mean. Crystalline drops? Misty blue orbs? I don't mean to totally flame on R. M. Jackson. . . No, wait. I guess I kind of do. I absolutely hate it when an author tries to use mature, meaningful vocabulary, but it just ends up sounding like pompous juvenile drivel. There's too many big, swooping words - and far too many adjectives. I mean, a lot is better than none, but less is more, right? It's such a common fault with any kind of fiction to be too descriptive. Lots of people try to paint a picture with words, and they become so preoccupied they don't notice they've lost the art of transition, and every trace of subtly has vanished - they're so busy with contrast and primary colors they don't realize they've been doing oil on canvas with crayons and cardboard.

It really goes to show: grammar isn't everything. It's more than that. It's style, and flow, and voice. Real writing is raw and real, thought-provoking and passionate. It's not big words and it's not exaggerated description; there's rhetoric and feeling and finesse. And even though this snippet's got every requirement met for quality - perfect grammar and spelling and formatting - but it fits every fan fiction cliché in the book. And that's what separates the boys from the men. Figuratively.


june
updates

I can hardly believe I'm saying it, but. . . the first chapter of Lily's Eyes is finished! Two whole years in the making, and it's finally done. Yes! The bad news is that none of the other sixteen chapters are beyond outlines. But on the bright side, the writer's block forced three unrelated oneshots out of me - unfortunately, though they are complete, they'll be shelved until Lily's Eyes is done. So see you all in about 32 years. . . lol. I hope.

Email

I prefer messages through the PM system over at FF.net, but anyone who would rather email can contact me at loveandrockmusic@yahoo.com.



© 2009 Love and Rock Music | Member at Fanfiction.net